Saturday, November 13, 2010

Menu for the Week

Listening to: Weeds - Pulp



In the interest of spending less money and time at the grocery store, and eating real, proper sit down meals at least six days a week (some days are Penguin Pizza  days, obvs), making a weekly menu is really key.  On Thursday evenings, after I've picked up the CSA, I consider everything we have in the cabinets and fridge and come up with a set of recipes that best utilizes what we have and minimizes my grocery bill.

At least, that is the goal.

Sometimes, I get carried away.  That's ok.  Food is just so incredibly exciting.  There's so many recipes out there to be tried.  Its pretty much unthinkable to me to repeat the same meals over again.  Maybe if its like totally incredible. But rarely, even then.  Eating new things is definitely what life is all about, kids.  If you're eating the same stale tired food stuffs you've eaten all your life, you're missing out on a huge piece of life.

And its not like, some piece of life that is inaccessible to those of us plebeians making thirty grand a year. This is not me being like, you're missing out on a huge piece of life if you're not spending a quarter of the year lounging on your sailboat in the Caribbean (as true as that may be). This is food, my friends.  Simple, accessible, and necessary to your everyday existence. You've got to get down with eating three times a day anyway.  Why wouldn't you want to make that an excuse to have an awesome adventure?  Eating boring, tasteless food on the reg because its easy  is like saying, "I'm totally down with making a career of pushing this gray button every day for the rest of my life because its a pretty effortless thing to do." Or, "I'm content with missionary position because  it gets the job done.  Thats all I'm looking to do."

Ok, maybe you are someone who does say those things.. I guess its your prerogative to be a waste of life or whatever.   I believe in choices and so forth.

I digress considerably.

Here's our menu for the week, as written down in a brilliant small moleskin which often travels around with me in my purse. Dates are subject to change and to unseen turns of events (such as the aforementioned pizza needs).



Saturday (tonight): Honey- soy glazed salmon with bok choy

Sunday: I'm in Providence for a literacy thing this night, no cooking for me!

Monday: An as yet undetermined piece of meat (I'm about to go check out what Stillmans has at the JP farmers market today), glazed carrots and ultra fluffy mashed potatoes

Tuesday: Celeriac gratin

Wednesday: Ribollita soup

Thursday: Beet Gratin with Gruyere and Thyme

Friday:  Spicy squash with lentils and goat cheese

All meals will be subsequently fleshed out with side and starters and desserts, probs.  I'll explain the whole minimal meat consumption at a later date.  One of the few aspects of my life in which I partake a "less" philosophy.

Photos by Molly Hall

1 comment:

  1. Menu planning is something I need to start doing. By the time I cook dinner I'm already really hungry and I can't make decisions in that state.

    ReplyDelete