I don't care if its still looks like winter outside. I turned the calendar today and was delighted to find that March's image was of a nest of robin's eggs. (Like, really delighted. Called loudly out to Nic from the other room and everything.) Because, despite what New England would have us believe, March is spring. As I like to say to pretty much anybody who will listen, "If we were in my home state, it would be nice weather from here on out! It would be spring for real!"
Listen, wherever you live, don't let the weather spoil what your heart knows. It is springtime, damn it. And spring means new life and happy songs and high hopes. And for some reason, spring also means oldies for me. You know, when you're out and about on those first days of wet smelling earth and bird sounds and spots of color in the mud, there's nothing like songs from the fifties and sixties to match the youthful naivety you feel. Like, I'll always feel this way! Nothing will ever be wrong again! You know? You know. This mix is like that. Not all oldies, because sometimes Phoenix or The Strokes or Wolfmother can feel that way too. Especially in that, I'll-always-be-young-and-full-of-life-and-brilliance sort of way. You just want to pinch all of their cheeks and sigh, don't you?
Here it is, then:
1. Tecnicolor - Os Mutantes
2. And The Grass Wont Pay No Mind - Elvis Presley
3. I'm Into Something Good - Earl Jean
4. You Can't Hurry Love - The Supremes
5. Let There Be Love - Nat King Cole and George Shearing Quintet
6. Mind's Eye - Wolfmother
7. Madame George - Van Morrison
8. Blue - Joni Mitchell
9. Whaddit I Done - Animal Collective
10. Umbrella - Rihanna Featuring Jay-Z
11. Alex Chilton - The Replacements
12. Something About You - The Four Tops
13. My Big Nurse - Brian Eno & David Byrne
14. Post-War - M. Ward
15. Everybody Loves to Cha Cha Cha - Sam Cooke
16. On The Way Home - Buffalo Springfield
17. Pave Your Way Into Tomorrow - Glen Campbell
18. Never You Change - Toots & The Maytals
19. Right or Wrong - Merle Haggard
20. Slip Away - Clarence Carter
21. Some of Your Lovin' - The Bees and The Honey
22. Yankee Bayonet (I Will Be Home Then) - The Decemberists
23. Just Like Tom Thumb's Blues - Nina Simone
24. Lion's Mane - Iron & Wine
25. It's Not Unusual - Tom Jones
26. Rome - Phoenix
27. Bob Dylan's Blues - Bob Dylan
28. May This Be Love - The Jimi Hendrix Experience
29. 12:51 - The Strokes
30. Any Ole Way - Otis Redding
31. The Old Sweet Roll (Hi-De-Ho) - Dusty Springfield
By the way, I think those merino wool, navy blue paillette shorts pretty much exactly sum up my feelings on spring. I want them something terrible.
And on another note, I had headphones on while I made this mix, and I'd almost forgotten how wonderful they are. Not earbuds, dummy, proper headphones. I got a little nerdily shaky blissful with them on. There's something really crazy mood altering and excellent about blocking everything else out and being in a private cushiony world of music every once in a while.
No comments:
Post a Comment