I like to live extravagantly. And by that, I do not mean expensively. Don't misunderstand me. I'm not pursuing luxury for luxury's sake, I'm not wanting to live up to anyone else's ideals, I'm not seeking out any fashions, foods, or products because a series of magazines and celebrities tout them. Rather, I just want the best of everything, and I'm very opinionated about just what that entails. The best things happen to be good not just for me, but for the earth and local economy sometimes too. What can be wrong with that?
Minimalism is boring. Mass produced plastic furniture is boring. Mass produced anything is boring. Polyester is lame. Wearing unflattering clothes because they're comfortable is for babies. Let's get over it already. There is something to be said for simplicity, I guess. Like, I can get behind a simple white oxford with dark jeans. But how much better is it with shocking red lipstick and a stack of oversized necklaces? You know. Same applies to a room, or a meal. Spaghetti with jarred tomato sauce is ok-ish, mostly, but penne with your own garden's heirloom tomatoes, sautéed with farmer's market basil and garlic and special special extra virgin olive oil and aged balsamic, and maybe some crumbled local goat cheese will knock you out.
So I'm not going to settle for less.
More has a reputation for being fussy. More is associated with wealth and privilege. I am here to announce firmly that none of the above need be the case.
Currently, I am considerably far from wealth or privilege. I've just finished my masters with the help of some unpleasantly large loans, have been employed only on a minimal part time basis for the last seven months, and will embark on a career as an elementary teacher in a low income parochial school in the fall. I live in a fantastic apartment in the amazingly wonderful neighborhood of Jamaica Plain, in Boston with my shockingly good looking boyfriend (likewise, just finished a degree and underemployed) and my small dog. In a matter of weeks, our household will also include my fabulously talented and beautiful sister (also, a student!) Boyfriend, sister, dog, all together in a wonderful house, in a great city, perhaps privileged, but with no money to spare. Can we possibly live a life of grandeur and luxury?
Of course. And I will tell you all about it. And my more talented boyfriend and sister will document it with photos.
Ok?
(This gratuitous adorable animal photo happens to be my very own small dog, Bea. Get over it.)
Looking forward to more beautiful posts.
ReplyDeletelooking forward to more photos of Bea.
ReplyDelete